There are more than 80,000 chemicals that surround us daily in the food we eat, the water we drink, and in the air we breathe. Over 85% of them have not been tested by the EPA for safety. These chemicals go straight into your body, or your child’s body, even before birth.
According to Dr. Mercola, there’s convincing evidence showing that prenatal exposure to certain industrial chemicals may lead to:
- Abnormal fetal development
- Diminished intelligence
- Behavior problems
- Abnormal sexual maturation
- Metabolic dysfunction
These cumulative doses of chemicals are putting an extreme burden on our body’s detoxification systems. Children are especially vulnerable, but as adults, we need to be aware of the cocktail of chemicals we are exposed to in medicines, personal care products, PFOA from non-stick cookware, BPA in plastics and even chemicals in our drinking water.
This may sound alarming, and it should set off some internal alarms, but we can mitigate the effects of those toxins by incorporating a few simple daily habits to help our bodies release them. These are simple tips that can have a big impact when incorporated all together.
10 Detox Tips:
- Use foods and herbs that support your detox organs – liver, kidney and colon. E.g. parsley, beets and dandelion.
- Encourage elimination through the skin, your largest organ for elimination. E.g. sweating through exercise or sauna and dry skin brushing
- Buy and eat organic food as much as possible – learn about the “Dirty Dozen” list and try to shop organic for this produce.
- Reduce processed and packaged foods, which are loaded with chemicals. Check every single label – even those “healthy” and “gluten-free” snacks for preservatives, artificial colors and sugars.
- Replace personal care products (that contain chemicals) with those made with natural ingredients. Avoid parabens, sulfates, and “fragrance” that can disrupt your delicate endocrine system.
- Filter your water with a carbon filter or whole house filtration system. I like Aquasana‘s affordable filters.
- Replace household cleaning products with natural “green” products or just use vinegar and water and a few drops of essential oils like thyme, grapefruit, and oregano that are naturally anti-bacterial.
- Buy grass-fed meats or if you can’t find them, look for hormone-free, organic and/or antibiotic-free meats. EatWild.com is a great resource to find a farm near you.
- Use a chlorine filter for your shower and bathtubs.
- Swap out your plastic food storage and drinking bottles for glass and stainless steel. Even those marked “BPA-fee” may contain BPS or BPF that are equally as endocrine-disrupting as BPA.
Cindy Santa Ana is an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach specializing in weight loss and hormone balance. She will be speaking on Saturday, October 3rd at the Take Back Your Health Conference. Her presentation is titled “Knocking Your Tox Off!”
For more tips and action steps, pick up a copy of her new book, Unprocessed Living, and learn how to clean up your family’s diet and discover more ways to detox your home from dangerous chemicals.