There are so many nutritional, natural and medical approaches to reversing autism that it is hard to list them all here. I will do my best to include the best resources that I have come across during my years of research, and I will continue to update this page as I remember more. If you have anything positive and relevant to add, please include it in the comment section below!
An Overview of this Resource List:
- First, I’ve compiled some links that will give you information about the leading “assumed” causes of autism spectrum disorders according to my colleagues in integrative medicine, and how to understand the whole-body implications of the disease. When you better understand the systems of the body, you feel empowered and much more able to be a caretaker!
- Next, I’ve included the top dietary plans for autism spectrum disorders as recommended by my colleagues. You can research more about each one through the links provided. Below the dietary plans, you will find more support forums and how-to links to help you carry out the dietary plans.
- Since diet isn’t the only treatment that can help, I’ve included a list of comprehensive books and leading practitioners who are successfully treating autism spectrum disorders through integrative medical approaches.
- And at the bottom, you’ll also find more information on additional treatments that will help the patient’s body detoxify and heal.
Inspiring Success Stories
Thanks to The Documenting Hope Project, I’d like to start by sharing two children’s stories of recovery so that you may be inspired to begin your journey:
1. Leo: https://documentinghope.com/leo/
And a video from DHP about people who are recovering our children:
Understanding Autism As A Whole-Body Medical Condition
- Here is a very thorough overview of the history and causes of autism from Dr. Jepson: Click here.
- Learn about the Multiple Organ System Involvement of Autism: Click here.
- Autism Article Archives from Donna Gates: Click here.
- Autism/Environmental Chemicals Connection: Click here.
- Video Archives from Autism One Conference: Click here.
Stop Autism Now! A Parent’s Guide to Preventing and Reversing Autism Spectrum Disorders by Dr. Bruce Fife, N.D.
Autism: Have We Done Everything We Can for This Child?: Effective Biomedical Treatments by Sidney Baker, MD, and Jon Pangborn
Children with Starving Brains: A Medical Treatment Guide for Autism Spectrum Disorder by Jaquelyn McCandless
Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet by Elaine Gloria Gottschall, biochemist and cell biologist
The Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates
Healing and Preventing Autism: A Complete Guide by Jenny McCarthy and Dr. Jerry Kartzinel
Louder Than Words: A Mother’s Journey In Healing Autism by Jenny McCarthy
Mother Warriors: A Nation of Parents Healing Autism Against All Odds by Jenny McCarthy
Changing the Course of Autism: A Scientific Approach for Parents and Physicians by Bryan Jepson, MD
Outsmarting Autism by Patricia Lemer
The 3 Best Nutrition Plans for Autism Spectrum Recovery
1. Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) / Dairy-Free Version:
Researching this diet was my first introduction into the possibility that autism could be reversed. The successful accounts I read from parents who put their autism spectrum child on this diet were heart-warming and chilling at the same time. This is a grain-free (and thus, gluten free) diet.
“Children with Autism who are implementing SCD are demonstrating remarkable improvements in bowel function, language, eye contact, self-stimulatory behavior, anxiety, and mood. The Specific Carbohydrate Diet unlike other specialized diets works by removing the foods that cannot be properly broken down. The vicious cycle of malabsorption, maldigestion, inflammation, and food allergies seen in children with autism can be corrected using this dietary approach and healthy digestion can begin.”
2. Gut And Psychology Syndrome Diet (GAPS):
This is a more basic (strict) version of the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and is often recommended as an introductory diet, from which the family transitions into the full Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Please note that GAPS allows for some dairy and must be modified to dairy-free for autism spectrum.
3. Body Ecology Diet Recovering Our Kids (BEDROK):
As I learned more about Donna Gates and her nutrition plan for building health, I realized that she is extremely passionate about working with autism spectrum families to improve the health of these children. She is extremely successful with her approach and we have hosted her as a speaker at the Take Back Your Health Conference to share her experiences and information.
Support for Parents and Caretakers
How to overcome the challenges of diet changes:
Hope for parents of picky eaters:
A tool to analyze and find treatment options based on your child’s unique symptoms:
Apply to The Documenting Hope Project to get free suggestions and resources for your unique situation:
Doctors and Practitioners
Donna Gates: Read more about her here.
Dr. Stephanie Cave: Read more about her approach here.
Dr. Sidney Baker, MD: Read more about him here.
Dr. Bryan Jepson, MD: Read more about him here.
Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride: Read more about her here.
GAPS Diet Practitioners. Find one here.
It is hard to make a comprehensive list of practitioners. If you know of one, please add their information in the comments below! Thank you for contributing.
Mercury (Heavy Metal) Chelation Information:
Events To Attend
Foundations and Organizations
I hope that this resource list is helpful. Again, if you have anything positive and relevant to add, please do so in the comments! This list is not exhaustive, and I know some of you have more to contribute. Please share the knowledge and the love in the comments below.
Keep taking back your health,