Are You Ready To Live Free From Disease? Join Me IN THE KITCHEN!  ⟶ Learn More…

You Can Take Back Your Health!
I will show you how...

The Surprising Connection Between Alpha Lipoic Acid And Heavy Metal Detox

This post is about Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) and its relationship to heavy metal detoxification in the body and brain, in particular mercury detoxification. This video is intended for those who have mercury amalgams or who believe they have toxic levels of mercury in their bodies.

I wanted to address this issue because ALA is a very common supplement. However, it has a role in metal detox that is not fully understood by many who take it, and can be very dangerous to your health if not used correctly. It can be extremely healing when used correctly.

ALA is present in many multivitamins, so you might be getting it without realizing it. Many of my clients are also taking this supplement in isolation, in high amounts, for brain health and longevity.

ALA Warning

Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) is a mercury-chelating antioxidant. If you have heavy metals in your body in significant amounts, it is not a good idea take large doses of any chelating agents unless you are aware of the potential side effects of redistribution (explained below) and you know how to take care of yourself should this occur. If you take ALA and start to feel fatigue, headaches, “burning brain”, rash, etc., I would stop taking ALA immediately.

What Is Alpha Lipoic Acid?

Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) is a naturally occurring antioxidant in the body and plays a role in energy production. It also chelates with mercury and other heavy metals to varying degrees. This means that it will bind with certain reactive heavy metals that it comes into contact with in your body.

In particular, ALA has an affinity to mercury. In other words, it has an especially strong “magnetic pull” to mercury. It will attach itself to mercury found in your body and brain.

It’s important to know that your body has stored away these reactive metals into remote places, like fatty brain tissue, bone, muscles, fat, organs that aren’t urgently “essential” for survival. This protects you from the damaging effects of these heavy metals.

When the mercury and other reactive metals are actively bound by ALA, the resulting compound is recognized as a neutral toxin that can be safely eliminated via your kidneys. This “neutral” molecule travels back into your bloodstream from wherever the ALA “found” the metal and bound to it, and your body is able to filter it out of your blood through your kidneys and eventually your urine.

Many people do not realize that ALA can do this. They are only taking it for longevity or for other reasons.

The big HOWEVER comes now:

ALA has a half life of 3-4 hours. This means that half of the ALA you took has been broken down into smaller compounds within 3 hours, and thus, is no longer strong enough to bind the mercury.

At the three hour point, half of the mercury that it has been pulled out of  your body “storage” and was bound by ALA, is then dropped into your bloodstream, for your body to deal with. No ALA left in sight to bind to it.

This is called redistribution and it can be dangerous and damaging.

Redistribution can cause all of the same symptoms of mercury poisoning, all over again. There is a solution that I spoke about in the video. Keep reading…

Summary Of Alpha Lipoic’s Role In Detoxing Heavy Metals:

1. Alpha Lipoic Acid is a chelator of heavy metals, and in particular, mercury.
    2. Alpha Lipoic Acid can cross into the blood-brain barrier, and also travel into cell membranes.
    3. Alpha Lipoic Acid has a half-life of 3-4 hours – half of it breaks down within 3-4 hours.

So, that means…

1. When you take ALA, it will bind to mercury and other heavy metals in your body, and pull them into the bloodstream for removal.
    2. ALA will bind to heavy metals that are in your brain, and in your cells, being stored away by your body for protection. It will bring them into your blood for excretion.
    3. Half of the ALA in your body will disintegrate within 3-4 hours of taking it. This means that the mercury or heavy metals that it was holding onto are now left free, to roam about your body. This is called redistribution. It can be dangerous, damaging and painful.

How Do You Know If You Are Toxic With Mercury Or Heavy Metals?

You may have metal toxicity if you have any of the following symptoms:

• Hormone Imbalance
    • Headaches
    • Brain Fog
    • Memory Problems
    • Nuerological Issues
    • Food Allergies or Sensitivities
    • Inflammation / Pain
    • Fatigue
    • Impaired Detoxification or DNA Tests Showing Detox Pathway Dysfunction
    • WORSENING SYMPTOMS AFTER LARGE DOSES OF CHELATING AGENTS LIKE ALA

Frequent Low Dose Chelation (FLDC) For Heavy Metals

Frequent Low Dose Chelation is the method for chelating heavy metals that I refer to in the video.

I want to stress that most health practitioners either

1) Do not know how to chelate a patient properly and safely, or

2) Do not recommend chelation at all because they don’t prioritize the consequences of heavy metals on hormone and detox pathways.

And of those who do think chelation is important, don’t know about Frequent Low Dose Chelation, which is the only way to safely detoxify heavy metals and the only safe way to administer Alpha Lipoic Acid whether it is being taken for chelation or otherwise.

Frequent Low Dose Chelation Is A Safer Way To Take ALA:

1. You start with very low doses of chelators so that you don’t shock/damage your body by pulling too many heavy metals out into the bloodstream at once.
    2. You take the dosage around the clock, keeping an adequate blood level of chelator, to avoid redistribution of heavy metals.
    3. You take days off from chelating to allow your body to rest and replenish minerals.

FLDC Resources

I recommend that you learn more about FLDC by following the yahoo group: Frequent Low Dose Chelation. You’ll need a yahoo account for that. This is an extremely helpful group and very informative. I have learned so much about what heavy metals do in the body from them.

You can also learn more by reading the book Amalgam Illness by Dr. Andrew Cutler, but it is very technical and hard to read. It also recommends tons of supplements and tests that I have found aren’t exactly necessary if you make sure to clean up your diet and eat according to the Take Back Your Health™ nutrition plan first.

Dr. Andrew Cutler is the one who made this chelation method popular and has been interviewed online many times. You can find these by googling his name.  You can also learn a great deal by perusing his website: andy-cutler-chelation.com.

There are also several Facebook groups for Andrew Cutler’s Frequent Low Dose Chelation protocol. I’ll let you find them by searching his name and “Frequent Low Dose Chelation” on Facebook, as I don’t have any particular favorites and there are too many to list.

If You Have Amalgam Fillings

You should not under any circumstances take ALA if you currently have amalgam filling still in your mouth, or had them removed within the last three months. If you do take ALA despite these instances, you may experience exaggerated symptoms of mercury toxicity.

So What Should You Do If You’re Currently Taking ALA?

If you have amalgam fillings, you recently had them removed, you have heavy metal toxicity symptoms, or you have chronic illness, you probably shouldn’t take ALA unless you are already eating according to the Take Back Your Health™ lifestyle and you are ready to chelate mercury with ALA using the FLDC method explained above.

If you want to learn more about FLDC, read Amalgam Illness by Dr. Andrew Cutler and read about Frequent Low Dose Chelation on his website before starting chelation.

Alpha Lipoic Acid may not be worth the risk even if you are not sure if you are toxic with mercury. That is for you to decide.

If you take ALA and start to feel fatigue, headaches, burning head, rash, etc., stop taking ALA immediately!

If you don’t have any heavy metals toxicity symptoms described above in this post, and you don’t feel worse when taking ALA, you might be clean from heavy metals (rare these days!) In this case, use your discretion and be safe.

That was a lot of technical information. I hope it helps!

Leave your questions in the comments below and I’ll try to find answers and direct you to more information!

Keep taking back your health,
    Robin Shirley

98 Responses to The Surprising Connection Between Alpha Lipoic Acid And Heavy Metal Detox

1. Mo August 1, 2016 at 12:18 am #

Not sure about accuracy of what is being suggested here; have to look into it!

I have be taken Alpha Lipoic Acid for several years now, and the reason is : I was suffering from what is called burning mouth or tongue syndrome; my tongue constantly felt like is exposed and has no skin while being dipped in jalapeno juice, burning like crazy! It was a relentless agony I had to deal with. No Dr. knew or could figure out how to help.
      It took a while to source the right and potent Alpha Lipoic Acid, but after a few weeks of taking it, the annoying burning sensation was and has been gone!

I thought I share this with you! Perhaps there has been new findings on dealing with burning tongue syndrome since!

Mo G
      Southern CA

• Paula Schmitz October 20, 2016 at 2:41 am #

Hello!! Can u tell me your dose and the name of the brand u took?

• Robin Shirley October 21, 2016 at 1:20 pm #

Hi Mo, I followed Andrew Cutler’s Frequent Low Dose Chelation Protocol. http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/chelation-the-andy-cutler-protocol/

I started with 3mgs ALA and worked my way up slowly. 3 days on, 4 days days off. I got the low dose of ALA from Living Network – and I used the Frequent Low Dose Chelation Yahoo Group for support and guidance.

Make sure to be very careful with this especially if you have amalgams or other definite mercury exposure (from flu vaccine or other)

Hope that helps!

• John January 1, 2019 at 7:49 pm #

Hi Robin,

I assume you also took DMSA? Or did you just take a ALA?

John

• Fiona July 10, 2020 at 6:03 pm #

Hi.
            Would like to know if ashwaghanda redistributed mercury in the blood

• Jane W February 26, 2018 at 4:23 pm #

Robin, the information you have given in this blog appears to be very crucial. If correct, surely the information needs to be made much more readily available whereas I suspect the reality is that whilst some people might discover it, most will likely remain unaware of it altogether.

I hope you might be kind enough to clarify a couple of things. You have stressed that redistribution is only a problem for those with high mercury toxicity but also say that anyone with amalgam fillings should not be taking ALA unless using the strict protocol. So are you saying that anyone with amalgam fillings is presumed to have high mercury toxicity? Surely, this will be most people? Certainly it would be a rare person of my age (67) who doesn’t have fillings (or had ‘flu vaccination for that matter). Also, if redistribution does occur, does it cause irreparable damage? It all sounds so scary!

Like others, I have been taking ALA for burning mouth syndrome as there is some compelling evidence for its efficacy. Of the articles I have read in this respect, I have never seen the problem of redistribution mentioned. After more than five years of suffering from BMS I decided to give it a try. The recommendation is to take initially 600mg per day for two months to see if it works. I took 2 x 300mg capsules per day for 6+ weeks without any side effects. In fact I felt the BMS was responding. However, having just come across your video and article, I stopped immediately.

For info, I am a fit and healthy 67 year old female. I have several, old amalgam fillings yet a hair mineral analysis test last year (taken for other reasons) showed a mercury level of 0.06, well within acceptable range. I know you are not able to give advice but feel sure you can understand how unsettled I now feel, with no idea how to proceed. Thanks for reading.

• Ann November 10, 2018 at 7:21 pm #

Can you please share the brand and dosage of ALA you used?

2. Robin Shirley August 1, 2016 at 12:27 am #

ALA is a really therapeutic nutrient and it would only causes problems in those who have very serious mercury toxicity from amalgams or other. We have a lot of readers who have problems with mercury on this blog, who have issues with ALA because of the reasons described above!

Your story makes me wonder if you were having the burning tongue from a metal issue – and the ALA cleared it up. The burning sensation in various extremities and parts of the head seems to be a common reported symptom of metal toxicity.

Thanks for sharing your experience with ALA!

3. Chaya Freund December 5, 2016 at 3:10 pm #

Thank you for your knowledge now that I know a little bit about alpha lipid acid what would be the best way to take it if I’m having a hard time trying to shed some lbs off
      Is there something else that you would recommend instead to curb my appetite

• Robin Shirley December 5, 2016 at 9:59 pm #

Hi Chaya!
        There are a lot of alternatives to ALA if you’re concerned about the chelating effects of ALA. Chromium has been used as an appetite supressent: http://www.livestrong.com/article/518401-chromium-used-as-an-appetite-suppressant/

When I was trying to lose weight, I found these things helpful: Eating natural foods, instead of chemical foods, to adjust my taste buds away from artificial flavors (which now taste disgusting to me), eating all the 5 flavors at each meal to reduce flavor cravings later (savory, salty, sweet, bitter, astringent), and finding fun hobbies to get caught up with, so that food didn’t tempt me as a solution to boredom. It would be great to find some hobbies that make you move as well, that would help with weight loss!! Good luck!

4. Kev Mack December 21, 2016 at 8:32 am #

Reading this has come as a bit of a blow as I was recently diagnosed with Idiopathic Peripheral Neuropathy. Research led me to ALA which provided me with some hope that this at least might slow or halt its progress. I’ve got four jars of the stuff I feel I now must throw away as like many I have a mouth full of mercury. Now looking at Acetyl l-Carnatine instead.

• Robin Shirley January 24, 2017 at 2:00 am #

Hi Kev,
        There’s no reason to toss it unless you have amalgams and are not planning to have them removed.
        If that’s not the case, then do some more reading up on ALA as a chelator and the FLDC method. You just want to make sure that you use it safely and correctly, so that it works properly!

• paul November 23, 2017 at 4:00 pm #

HI Robin, can i just clear something up with you. FIrst you said that if you get headache or feel not well then stop taking ALA at once. But then you said that if you dont have any symptoms of metal toxicity such as headaches ect, then you dont need ALA?

The first time I took it (250 mg every 3 hours. I didnt know about low doses) I felt lazy and just not well, I did 3 days and then I felt better after stop taking it. Now on my second time I dont feel bad at all even taking such a high dose. I just feel a little bit tired and my pee smells like chemicals. Im also taking chlorella and cilantro and garlic and ACV, glutathione injections and GHK CU injections daily. But although its my second time only and such a high dose. i feel not really so different.

anyway, if you could clarify what you mean by “if you have symptoms then stop at once and if you dont have symptoms then you probably dont need it? Thanks

• Robin Shirley March 6, 2018 at 1:34 pm #

Hi Paul! Yes I can clarify 😊 The way I said it was confusing and I’m sorry about that!

What I mean is that if you experience symptoms while taking a very high dose of ALS daily (not on the frequent low dose schedule), you should stop the high dose and research frequent low dose Chelation before taking ALA again. And by saying that “if you don’t have symptoms at a high dose daily then you don’t need it”, I mean that you probably don’t need frequent low dose Chelation with ALA because you weren’t having detox symptoms from ALA pulling mercury out.

I hope that clarifies it… please let me know!

5. Brad April 5, 2017 at 6:47 am #

As much as I want to believe this article, I have trouble accepting a few of the facts, given in this article:

1- ALA doesn’t have a half life of 3 hours. Its average half life is 30 min
      2- ALA, if produce “properly, is 50/50 Of “S & R ALA”. R ALA cannot cross BBB and S ALA is limited to 30 min half life.

So, taking ALA even 3 hours doesn’t make sense, unless there is more to ALA matabolism than its half life.

Am I missing something?

• Robin Shirley June 3, 2017 at 6:40 am #

Hi Brad!

I recommend reading the book “Amalgam Illness” by Dr. Andrew Cutler to understand fully how ALA acts in a mercury-toxic body!

Robin

• Robert August 3, 2017 at 6:26 pm #

Alpha lipoic acid metabolically reduces to dihydrolipoic acid which is the active chelator, has a half-life of about 3 hours, and crosses the BBB.

• paul November 23, 2017 at 4:08 pm #

hi brad,

i think maybe a mistake in wording. The half life is (as far as I know 30-45 minutes) But, that doesnt mean that its still not working. A presentation from the University of Florida entitled “Basic Biopharmaceutics” clarifies that, “It takes [a medication] one half-life to reach 50%, 2 half-lives to reach 75%, 3 half-lives to reach 87.5%, 3.3 half-lives to reach 90%, 4 half-lives to reach 93.75% of steady state. In most clinical situations, the attainment of steady state can be assumed after 3-5 half-lives.” Assuming that the half life is 45 minutes then it would take approx 3 hours to be fully removed from the body and all the metals dropped. But I think I am going to change my routine to every 1.5 hours

Source: Drug Half-Life Explained – Drugsdb.com http://www.drugsdb.com/blog/drug-half-life-explained.html#ixzz4zGtruKxw

6. Jean Guadan April 23, 2017 at 12:43 am #

I’m learning about the chelation properties of ALA for the first time and am very concerned. I was taking 200 mg for a few years and in that span of time my aortic stenosis became much worse. 7 years of yearly Echo’s showed consistently the same status until the last 2 years.

I’m afraid my use of ALA may have had something to do with this. Your input on this is greatly appreciated.

• Robin Shirley June 3, 2017 at 6:38 am #

Hi Jean,

I’m so sorry to hear that the aortic stenosis became worse. ALA is a powerful antioxidant and has strong effect on the body, both positive (if used correctly in low doses and building up) and negative (if used incorrectly – too much too fast in a body that is toxic). Heart disease is not my area of expertise unfortunately, so I wouldn’t be able to give a helpful reply. Keep searching, and you will find answers! There’s always a way for the body to heal and recover from life’s wear and tear…that’s it’s primary goal each day.

Robin

• Nicolas July 22, 2017 at 2:59 am #

Robin, I took ALA recently to help with energy and other stuff after a month I started feeling tired and light headed.
          Went to my dr, I had low hemoglobin, low WBC, and low RBC. After more tests I was diagnosed with MDS which is caused by toxins and specially benzene.
          I mentioned it to my dr and the hematologist they disregarded my claim and suspicion.
          What are your thoughts ?

7. Matt G May 4, 2017 at 5:53 pm #

Hi,

I’m late to the party but this is the only source I’ve found on the internet indicating problems with mercury toxicity and ALA. ALA is widely lauded and studied for it’s many benefits, specifically neurological. You don’t list any sources. You don’t have any medical background. I feel that it’s dishonest to push ALA as so problematic given its numerous well-documented benefits.

Care to expand on your thoughts above in a way that indicates just how at-risk your average relatively-healthy reader might be to mercury toxicity via ALA binding? Thanks.

• Robin Shirley June 3, 2017 at 6:46 am #

Hi Matt,

I have researched the connection between mercury and ALA mostly through books, not internet. I love this one: “Amalgam Illness” by Dr. Andrew Cutler. If you want to stick to internet research though, a simple google search of “ALA and mercury” and “ALA chelation side effects” will bring up thousands of results for you to start browsing!

Robin

8. David May 22, 2017 at 1:41 pm #

Hi Robin,

Thanks for your explanation about the half-life of ALA and why this is important. I have a question about R-ALA. What is it and how is it different from regular ALA? I’d be curious since what I found is R-ALA, in 1200mg capsules. This is obviously way too strong, even though they recommend up to 3 x 1 capsule. I have not taken this dosage, in fact I started with a quarter capsule in the morning, and a quarter capsule in the evening. It still seems too strong, so I think I will discontinue this until I have better information. But still, I’d be curious about what you have to say about R-ALA. Thanks in advance!

David

9. Sandy Guy June 25, 2017 at 5:46 am #

The “technical” Info in Cutler’s book is well worth focusing on and getting to understand, as mercury poisoning can affect different people in very different ways. One can go the wrong route unless they know how to proceed.in some regards, as fully opposite methods might be needed for two people both having it. The testing and supplements are also crucial as mercury creates humongous oxidative stress. I”m glad to see you mention his book and, yes, as you mentioned, there can be terribly misleading articles online or advice given both my doctors and health food store “gurus” (salespeople) Andy Cutler was quite helpful to me back in the day I needed that advice (having severe heavy metals poisoning) and we both were part of a world-wide forum of scientifically focused members trying to survive heavy metals poisoning.

For those reading this: the chelating time of ALA is between 3 and 4 hours and it does cross the bbb, on of several things that can do it, not all so easy to work with or well understood as the Russian studies showing this (which involved mouse brain dissections and with which Dr. Cutler is well aware of.) ~sg

10. Candy brooks July 29, 2017 at 2:27 am #

I’m recirculatimg mercury after taking ala can you tell me what to do please.thank you

• Robin Shirley August 24, 2017 at 4:57 am #

Hi Candy! I would not take anymore ala and I would learn more about frequent low dose chelation if were you. I consult with heavy metal toxicity patients all the time to help them understand this method, and I’m happy to do a session with you if you’re having trouble finding information.

• Kathy todd December 22, 2018 at 11:47 pm #

Hello.
          My name is.Kathleen Todd.
          I.have fibromyalagia.and also.c677t gene which my.body doesn’t absorb b vitamins and folate. I also.have 2.amalagrams in my teeth. I would like to.know.if.you have any.advjce on.the fibromyalgia and.the gene.

Thank.you
          Kathy

11. Jmathias September 19, 2017 at 8:56 am #

I am 45 years old male.
      I experience following symptoms after taking high vitamin B complex supplement.
      1. Tingling all over the body
      2. Twitching all over the body predominantly legs stomach back right-side
      3. Shocking sensation in body
      4. Crawling sensation mainly in scalp and sometime on other part of body.
      5. Numbness in foot and hands. In the night both hand feeling numb.
      6. Insomnia, anxiety, stress
      7. Sharp pinning/needling sensation in body,pain
      8. Burning sensation upper shoulder
      9. Buzzing in the thigh
      I was taking Neurobion (Merck )containing Vitamin -B1 100MG, Vitamin B6- 200MG ,Vitamin B12-200MCG
      I took one tablet each day for nearly 40 days. Without knowing these tablets are poisoning me each single day. I experienced symptoms on 25th day but I was thinking thease are not due to vitamin supplement. On the supplement pack it was written these tablets are good for back pain ,nerve tingling and prickling, Good Nerves health etc. I was so fool to look at this information and taking till 40th day.
      After consulting several doctors and undergone several diagnostic procedure finally I found that my sickness due to vitamin B-6 toxicity.
      My vitamin B level was found 212 ng/Ml (normal range is 8.7-27.2) nearly 7 times high than normal range.
      I stopped the vitamin B supplement. Today 70th th day and I have still have moderate symptoms in the body but the magnitude of the symptoms have been reduced to some extent. I have no idea how much damage these vitamins have done and how long it takes to recover. now I am very careful with my diet now avoiding B6 rich food. Noticed whenever I eat B rich food my symptoms will increases . I eat meat.fish chicken which has rich B6 and started numbness in foot hand and mild tingling. Burning in arms.it is very difficult to completely avoid B6 rich food.
      My doctor is recommending me to take Alpha Lipoic acid supplement for treating Peripheral neuropathy. But I am scared to take these supplement after reading your article. I have Amalgam filling in my three teeth’s.
      Will you please help me what should I do? I don’t think I have Mercury toxicity. A recent blood test shows my mercury level is within the normal range.
      Please advise.

• Robin Shirley October 20, 2017 at 10:19 pm #

Unfortunately I can’t give specific personal health advice outside of consultations. But if I were you, I would be apprehensive to begin ALA with amalgams still in my mouth!

• Paul M Lock January 29, 2018 at 7:06 pm #

JMathias.
        It sounds very much like neuropathy. I’m almost certain. Taking the extremely high dose of B6 has done you harm.
        The RDA is 1.7 mg/day.
        Look on Facebook for a group called solutions to peripheral neuropathy pain and discomfort.
        They have a great protocol for neuropathy.
        It does require R-ALA.

• Kalena March 14, 2019 at 11:31 pm #

B6 toxicity. Research it please. Some of those symptoms happened to me. Too much b6?

12. Ismail October 5, 2017 at 7:13 am #

Hi.

I just did what you yiu warned not to 🙁

Had 8 large fillings since 338 years ago. 6 teeth were pulled out. Health has largely deteriorated. Have a bad sweet tooth as well as a lot of very hot drinks. 🙁

Went on a rafical diet cut out sugars milk and fatty foods.

Felt my body and energy levels healing rapidly.

Brain fog and other painful symptons crhonicallly worse. Been taking vit c 1000mg, vit b complex omega 1000mg. Other herbal sup. like milk thistle , dandelion root, and molybdenum.

Not feeling good. Have I just jumped from the pan into the fire.

Ismail

• Ismail October 5, 2017 at 7:14 am #

Sorry for the typo its *38 years

• Robin Shirley October 20, 2017 at 10:17 pm #

I hope you start feeling better soon Ismail!

13. Randy October 5, 2017 at 10:37 pm #

Hello Robin, I have suffered from Mercury toxicity all my life because of 11 Mercury tooth fillings. I just want to say in short that Robin is absolutely correct about being very cautious with ALA. Several years ago after having these Mercury fillings taken out by a holistic dentist, I unwisely took a 600 mg ALA capsule and it nearly killed me!

unfortunetly I also took a 600 mg capsule of NAC along with it , which made the reaction even worse. I layer in bed with the most terrible migraine headache I’ve ever had for 28 hours! I could not even move my head. it obviously mobilized a ton of Mercury ions and the resulting free radical cascade. there should be a warning sign on those two supplements.

Now I strictly listen to the A. Cutler protocol and others who are smart like Robin Shirley. Thanks Robin for having the strength to speak out. Keep it up please.

• Robin Shirley October 20, 2017 at 10:17 pm #

Thank you Randy! Glad to hear that you are on the right path now.

14. Jason October 11, 2017 at 4:31 pm #

Thanks for this article. I think it rings true in many ways. One thing I’m curious about is taking high doses of ALA and not having negative side effects per se. I take 100 mg twice a day and think I’ve gotten a lot of it out but worried about redistribution. I don’t really have symptoms as long as I take it twice a day…but if I don’t then I can get headache and allergies,etc. Considering taking it more often but concerned about lack of sleep – taking it seems to energize me. Something I don’t really want in the middle of the night or when going to sleep. Any thoughts? Any thoughts on Boyd’s OSR product that is making a comeback?

• Robin Shirley October 20, 2017 at 10:16 pm #

Hi Jason, Redistribution with ALA is really only an issue if you have heavy metal toxicity (especially from mercury).

15. COBY October 14, 2017 at 6:32 pm #

I think you should reference Andy Cutler as one of the original researchers of low dose chelation and taking a chelator on a half life. i quickly read thru your article, if you did and i missed it, i apologize.

• Robin Shirley October 20, 2017 at 10:15 pm #

Hi Coby! I think you may have skipped over the artice. Dr. Cutler is mentioned many times! 🙂

16. Peter October 20, 2017 at 1:18 am #

Hi,

I’ve just read multiple discussion threads and articles on chelation.
      About the frequent low dose chelation with ALA, never mind whether its half life is 30 minutes or 3 hrs, there’s one big problem with reasoning here. Half life, as far as I’m informed, means that after say 3hrs, half of the compound, in this case ALA is EXCRETED, not dissolved in blood. That is what half life is, you can check on Wikipedia, google it. That means half of the mercury that was bound to ALA is excreted, the rest is in circulation and again after 3hrs is excreted at the rate of 50%.
      I honestly don’t understand why no one points it out, especially doctors making this mistake?!
      Can you please explain me why everyone thinks half life means 50% stays in blood (dissolved?) vs. 50% is already excreted?
      I believe it’s not about low, frequent dose, but LOW dose, whether it’s frequent or not, doesn’t matter.

• Robin Shirley March 6, 2018 at 3:49 pm #

Hi Peter, From my chemistry education my understanding of half life is that it is how long it takes for 50% of the compound to break down. Unfortunately in this case I’d say Wikipedia is less reliable than doctors and chemists 🙂

• John May 10, 2020 at 7:25 am #

Hi,

Peter is referring to elimination half-life.

Something like alpha-lipoic acid does not *spontaneously* break down in the body, to any meaningful extent. I don’t think Robin meant to imply that it does.

When studies talk about the half-life of ALA, they don’t mean its radioactive half-life (which is pretty much forever, as it is not radioactive) or how long it would take for half the material to degrade in your cupboard (which is many years under normal conditions). They mean some kind of biological half-life. The body interacts with the compound in a way that reduces its levels over time. Molecules of the compound will be cleared from the body. They may exit unchanged, or have something chemically bound to them, or have been broken down by some kind of metabolism.

According to the paper at http://accp1.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0091270003258654 (unfortunately not open-access), the plasma elimination half-life of ALA is a half hour or so on average. When you take ALA, its level in the blood will be elevated to a certain level then, within the next half hour, the amount of ALA in your blood plasma will drop by half as the ALA goes elsewhere in the body to do things or have things done to it. However, ALA increases other antioxidants. I guess that’s where Cutler’s 3-hour figure comes from: ALA’s effects work in a way that tapers down over a period of hours. Even after most of the ALA has broken down, the antioxidants that it has boosted will still be hard at work until they are used up.

Robin’s broader point is certainly correct that redistribution of heavy metals in the body can be a concern when taking ALA. A side comment in an open-access paper (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3654245/) says the clinical experience is that this is the case. The paper gives an overview of approaches, including natural ones, to dealing with heavy metal toxicity in the body.

Regards,
          -John

17. Lisa October 21, 2017 at 8:28 pm #

Hello,
      I’m confused about something: you say that when the half life is over, the ALA will just drop the Mercury wherever in the body, causing recirculating. But, in the protocol, chelators are only to be taken for 2 – 3 days, the. 4 days off. So following that protocol, every week there is going to be a day where the chelators die and dump for re circulation. So…. Why the warning on re circulation if it’s a part of the protocol?

• Robin Shirley March 6, 2018 at 3:53 pm #

Hi Lisa! Good question! The reason that the redistribution is acceptable in frequent low dose Chelation (between 3mgs-100mgs+) is that it is a very low dose and so the redistribution quantity is much less dangerous. Also, it is not safe for some individuals who are very toxic and sick to take the Chelation without those breaks, as the body needs time to rest…waking yourself up several times a night is too difficult without those days off. You have to remember that this redistribution is compared to taking a large dose (sometimes as much as 1200mgs) once per day and having major redistribution from that dose. I hope that makes sense and explains the difference!

18. Nikki Luttrell October 22, 2017 at 12:33 am #

If you’re looking for a facebook group, I highly recommend the Andy Cutler Chelation Support Group. I found this group after taking R-ALA for a year on the advice of my Integrative Physician and experiencing many negative symptoms over time. I stopped taking the R-ALA, got my amalgam fillings removed, my crowns replaced (one of my old gold crowns had a huge chunk of amalgam under the crown), then began using the Andy Cutler protocol. I’m in the early stages, but am feeling some definite relief of symptoms.

19. Nikki Luttrell October 22, 2017 at 12:34 am #

Robin Shirley thank you so much for the great video.

• Robin Shirley March 6, 2018 at 1:24 pm #

You’re welcome Nikki! I’m glad to hear your success story with beginning to detox heavy metals! 😊

20. Mary November 2, 2017 at 6:13 am #

Hi Robin,

Thanks for your informative video on the dangers of ALA for people who have mercury toxicity. I was just planning on taking some ALA and was reading about it when I found your video. Many years ago I had a number of silver fillings removed and subsequently developed Hashimoto’s Disease, severe allergies and felt depressed. I think there is a huge danger in having silver fillings removed because the mercury can volatilize. Over the years the allergies went away and so did feeling depressed. I continue to take thyroid meds for an under-active thyroid. I read a lot about mercury detox but have been afraid of the consequences of stirring up the mercury that probably is stored in my brain. Recently, I had high Ferritin levels (around 375) which was the result of taking higher levels of thyroid meds. This seemed to occur at the same time as a decrease in my sense of smell which is a new worry. I would like to find a doctor who could guide me through a heavy metal detox but at the same time I think it is dangerous. I have started taking some some Ayurvedic herbs (Ashwagandha, Bacopa monnieri, Hericium erinaceus among others which are supposed to help the brain but your wise caution will make me reconsider all of them and especially those which which are chelators.

• Robin Shirley March 6, 2018 at 1:29 pm #

Hi Mary,
        You are right to be weary of stirring up metals. I probably wouldn’t if I wasn’t experiencing any health challenges from them. But if I suspected metals were the cause of any of my symptoms I definitely think it’s worthwhile to address. It’s a very personal decision.
        I’m happy to guide you through a metal detox if that’s what you choose to do. I do this for a living and it doesn’t have to be scary or difficult!

• Amy January 26, 2019 at 8:54 pm #

Mary,

I couldn’t help but reply despite the fact this is an old post- you should ha e an iron profile done and know what the iron levels are in your body with a ferritin that high. It doesn’t ha e anything to do with your thyroid issue. You could have a condition known as hereditary hemochromatosis. The most common under diagnosed genetic condition. It is known as iron overload. This can be as harmful to your body and organs (and cause thyroid issues among other things) as mercury toxicity. It is a simple lab draw and can rule iron overload out.
        I am an advance practice oncology nurse, cancer survivor and have suffered from iron overload due to hereditary hemochromatosis- which I had to diagnose myself after years of problems. Do not let any doctor tell you it is rare or not possible- I had to tell my own hematologist I had 21 out of 23 symptoms, be hung up on only to be called back 10 minutes later and asked to come in for blood testing. They were “shocked” and I’m still not really sure why- it’s really very simple when you look it up. Make sure that’s not your issue. Your ferritin is too high.

Peace for your journey

21. Nita Hudson November 25, 2017 at 9:03 pm #

I’m so glad I found your site. I just started taking ALA and had a serious bout of fatigue, severe headaches and the symptom you described as “burning brain”. I thought it was dehydration because I experienced mild diuretic side effects this morning. After watching your video, I’m hydrating with coconut water and discontinuing ALA. I did have mercury fillings for most of my life (since I was 4-5 yrs old) until last year when I had the last ones replaced at age 45. I’m sure the mercury played a role in my lifelong sinus and digestion issues and I’ll take my supplement use more cautiously now I’ve got good solid information form you. Thanks for sharing!!

• Robin Shirley March 6, 2018 at 1:37 pm #

Hi Nita! Wow, it’s good to hear your story and I’m glad that you are okay and didn’t experience anything worse than what you described. If you think your health would improve from removing the mercury from your body then I am happy to guide you through a heavy metal detox program.

22. andree' valeton December 6, 2017 at 12:56 am #

we made a huge mistake using ala chelation on my 5 yr old grandson. We assumed that the holistic dr. we finally found was aware of andy cutler protocol. We ended protocol abrubtly 3 weeks in and 6 months later we are still dealing with HUGE displacement issues and HIGH oxolate/h.pylori/candida a. issues. Doing my daily search for new info in my attempt to be a (dr./nurse/scientist/researcher/and member of every group online of other family members doing the same thing) a good ma’mere, I ran across your article posted about “…connection between ala and heavy metal chelation” and I feel like maybe you can help us with this one problem. Ever since my he started the chelation (6 mos ago/for 3 wks) he has been chattering his teeth (he is non verbal autistic/high in mercury). VERY LOUD and FAST. I feel that the mercury/oxolates were moved and are now in the gums. We just started a s.salivarius chewable candy, at night after brushing teeth. It has been about a week and still chattering. Any thoughts?

• Robin Shirley March 6, 2018 at 1:41 pm #

Hi Andree!
        I’m sorry that I didn’t reply to you sooner! Your comment came the day I went into labor and I have been taking a lot of time off to recover and take care of my newborn daughter!
        I’m so sorry to hear that your grandson regressed on the Chelation protocol you tried. Detoxing heavy metals is a really important step in recovering a child from the spectrum. I would be happy to guide you all through a heavy metal Chelation detox program if you need the extra support.

23. Dixie Lawrence December 9, 2017 at 1:16 am #

Where in the world do you people come up with this stuff? You have no idea what you are talking about. ALA does not release metal once it binds, this is a biochemical impossibility. You need to stop getting your information from other people’s websites and go to school. Learn a bit about ALA.

24. Dixie Lawrence December 9, 2017 at 1:17 am #

Wrong. Once ALA binds it cannot separate,

25. Tobias December 25, 2017 at 4:35 pm #

Hi Robin,

thanks for this information. I’m very interessted in detoxyfing the brain, because I recevied several MRI scans with gadolinium. Do you know if ALA also is helpful therefore?

What dosages do you recommend exactly? Do you know any other possiblity to detoxify the brain?

Thanks and best regards
      Tobias

• Bianca April 1, 2018 at 7:02 pm #

Tobias,

I have gone through Gadolinium detox. It is very different from the Cutler protocol. The Cutler protocol and supplements like ALA WILL NOT work for the Lanthanide metals, trust me on this; I have an extensive chemistry and biology background. There is help out there for Gadolinium detox. Start with the website gadoliniumtoxicity.com. I had a single MRI scan and was sick from the Gadolinium for months. I’ve improved vastly after detox, though some symptoms linger. You’re not alone and Lanthanide detox IS POSSIBLE.

Bianca

• Diana June 15, 2020 at 6:53 pm #

Hi Bianca, may I ask you what you did to get rid of the Gadolinium? I, too, had only one MRI and now am dealing with common symptoms. The website you mentioned I don’t find very helpful. They mention several “ways you can try to detox”, but the IV chelation mentioned is not a one size fits all. A lot of people had bad experiences with EDTA and DTPA (especially the ones with a macrocyclic agents). I would love to hear what you did to help yourself to detox. Thank you very much.

26. LN January 9, 2018 at 6:45 pm #

Following advice on various sites to take ALA for relief of burning foot and shins I took 1200mg yesterday and happily no bad effects, 600mg today and then saw your advice – now dreading what may develop but would be very glad of advice how to approach any problems that may now appear. It has brought relief for burning btw and the recommended dose was 600-1200 mg a day with a glass of water.

• Robin Shirley March 6, 2018 at 3:44 pm #

Hi LN! Thanks for commenting on my video! Everyone experiences ALA differently and I only created the video to help those who had a bad reaction to taking a high daily dose of ALA (not on the frequent low dose Chelation protocol). How did you do now that it’s been a few weeks?

27. Liz January 18, 2018 at 4:03 pm #

Hi Robin,

My five-year-old son just had a series of blood tests because he is catching every cold possible since our cross country move… and is now suffering from bad allergies. (Before the move, he hadn’t had antibiotics in 3 years.)

His test showed that his body doesn’t metabolize Folate correctly… and suggested that he receive a Folic Acid supplement and 100 mg of Lipoic Acid. Unfortunately, the pediatrician who ordered the tests isn’t a good communicator (or isn’t familiar with Lipoic Acid) and suggested that I “just get a supplement.”

From my research, 1. there are not kiddo supplements for Lipoic Acid because it hasn’t been approved for kids 2. It can be dangerous in large amounts, which 100 mg seems like a lot for a five-year-old body.

What do you think? Or can you suggest a place where I can find more information? Thanks!
      p.s. The tests were NutrEval from Genova Diagnostics

• Robin Shirley February 11, 2018 at 9:51 pm #

Hi Liz! I’m sorry to hear about Bao allergies. I can’t give personal health advice via the blog but I can tell you that I get low dose alpha lipoic acid here: http://www.livingsupplements.com

And if there is any indication of mercury in him then he may have a reaction like I mentioned in the video!

28. JH January 29, 2018 at 3:33 am #

My wife worked as a dental technician for six years and also had amalgam fillings placed.

She recently developed florid mercury toxicity. She worsened dramatically when I started giving her a vitamin that contained lipoic acid.

Redistribution is a very real phenomenon. My wife became extremely confused, losing her memory and acting like she had Alzheimer’s disease. In addition she developed cogwheel rigidity consistent with Parkinson’s disease.

The interesting thing is that selenium will mitigate mercury induced CNS toxicity. It is a well-known phenomenon and true in every species of bird, fish and mammal tested.

I would not necessarily recommend the use of ALA for the treatment of mercury toxicity at all, even at low dose frequent dosing. DMPS and DMSA are far safer.

I treated my wife with high dose selenium, far above the 200 mcg maximum recommended daily dose.

In short, she made a full neurological recovery. Look up Nicholas Ralston, selenium and mercury. His paper will be listed and it is a very interesting read.

• Robin Shirley February 11, 2018 at 9:53 pm #

Hi JH! Thanks so much for sharing your story and the info on selenium!

• Walt February 13, 2018 at 1:39 am #

I wanted to note that DMPS and DMSA will will remove extracellular mercury but not intracellular. DMPS has a longer half life and is therefore safer from a redistribution perspective I suppose and will excrete the majority through the kidneys rather than the bile as is the case with ALA. Selenium will make the mercury you have in your body less toxic but it does not remove it.

• Robin Shirley March 6, 2018 at 3:56 pm #

Hi Walt! Thanks for your comment. I do not discuss DMPS or DMSA a great deal in this video because they do not bind mercury as effectively as ALA and they are not common supplements. My goal was to warn people of the effect of a common supplement that can be dangerous when used in mercury toxic individuals!

29. EDUARDO DI LUCs February 8, 2018 at 1:41 pm #

Thank you very much for the explanation. I had all those symptoms with ALA. I do have mercury amalgam. How can I cure this intoxication, how can I remove the almalgam safely?

30. Judy Jacobs February 21, 2018 at 3:36 pm #

In taking alpha lipoic acid, what if you have amalgam fillings. Even if you take it every 3 hours would it not be dangerous to leach out the mercury from the fillings? Should you even take it at all?

• Robin Shirley March 6, 2018 at 3:57 pm #

Hi Judy, it is not recommended to take ALA if you have amalgam fillings. In fact, it is highly recommended that you Do Not take ALA if you still have amalgam fillings!

31. NJ March 5, 2018 at 12:56 am #

Thank you for sharing this information, Robin. I was about to start taking ALA and after coming across your video, I’m holding off.

I have amalgam dental fillings. Is your suggestion to completely avoid ALA when you have mercury fillings, or is there still a method to take ALA in this situation? Thank you.

• Robin Shirley March 6, 2018 at 3:59 pm #

Hi NJ! You are correct, I do not recommend taking ALA if you currently have amalgams. The general consensus within the frequent low dose Chelation community is that if you remove the amalgams you should wait three months before beginning ALA Chelation!

32. Raizo March 15, 2018 at 8:58 am #

How about taking NAC 2 hours after ALA?

Ref:
      Workers exposed to lead, N-Acetylcysteine reduced blood levels of lead and increased glutathione concentrations
      In mice, N-Acetylcysteine enhanced excretion of mercury by 400% in comparison to control animals

• Lisa October 3, 2018 at 5:38 am #

I would love to know more about this particular issue as well.

• Lisa October 3, 2018 at 5:41 am #

Both NAC and ALA are part of the RECODE protocol for Altzheimers. And I have several amalgam fillings. Yikes.

33. Brendan April 6, 2018 at 2:38 pm #

Robin, I enjoyed your article. There are two forms of ALA on the market, S-ALA and R-ALA. I read that Andrew Cutler and his followers do not recommend R-ALA, the natural form. What kind of ALA are they you know about this? What kind of ALA are they using in the FLDC protocol that comes from New Zealand. Much gratitude.

34. John April 12, 2018 at 12:18 pm #

Hi Shirley you have some useful information. Please add to that what PubMed has on this topic of ALA. It has been used for 40 years or more in Germany with none of the problems associated with toxicity. Others have used it also. As the saying goes ‘examine all’ information available. Thanks for your contribuetion.

• Robin Shirley July 29, 2018 at 7:13 pm #

Hi John, ALA is a wonderful supplement and I am not saying that it causes toxicity. Please re-read and re-watch the video. ALA DETOXES mercury from the body, which can cause detox symptoms if done without strategy. Dr. Cutler’s protocol provides that strategy to prevent the detox symptoms.

35. Brian July 13, 2018 at 7:47 pm #

Thanks for all the info about ALA, I’m was about to supplement of it to remove heavy metals outta me and I’m glad I bumped into this video. So Question, you said ALA’s life is around 3-4 hours, how many grams should I take? What time of the day should I take it?

36. Denise Otten July 31, 2018 at 5:12 pm #

Robin,
      I didn’t want to leave a reply but must add to this information so you can ADD to your education of ALA.
      I too am an Holistic Health Counselor and healed my daughter of the DEADLY AIH, with Dr.Burt Berkson’s TRIPLE ANTIOXIDANT THERAPY, (ALA/SILYMARIN/SELENIUM)…and she healed within 4 months.
      A few things:
      1) Please read and youtube EVERYTHING on Dr.Burt Berkson and ALPHA LIPOIC. He was the DIRECTOR OF RESEARCH FOR ALPHA LIPOIC for the FDA for 15 years…he healed everything from hepatitis C, AIH, LUPUS, MS, DIABETIC NEUROPATHY and so much more WITH Intravenous ALA therapy.
      However…
      2) The ALPHA LIPOIC MUST BE SOURCED FROM Germany or even Italy, because Germany holds the patent. And MOST VITAMIN COMPANIES in the U.S. will source their ALA from CHINA. Then they say…”oh it’s FDA approved!” How many of us believe that the FDA cares about safety. They don’t. And often the IV ALA is sourced from China as well. So people need to CALL the vitamin company and ask what is the country of origin that they get their ALA from, and they will no doubt, 95% of the time , find out it’s sourced from China. Some people even faint when it’s sourced from China. Also they can ask for a “certificate of authenticity” and then they can find out how much of their ALA is from an UNKNOWN SOURCE. So you see, you are TRULY waving a red flag when you should be ENCOURAGING people to take ALPHA LIPOIC from a quality source. We all manufacture ALA in our cells…without it we would be dead. We stop producing it as we age, that’s why even healthy people over 45 should take it daily. Not only is it one of the top antioxidants which helps your body produce it’s OWN GLUTATHIONE…but it also REVERSES CIRHOSSIS….YES…you can often take a person OFF THE LIVER TRANSPLANT LIST WITH QUALITY IV ALA and often you can do it with quality ORAL ALA. Please research ALPHA LIPOIC FURTHER….Start with my book CURING COURTNEY, but then go to the source….the “father” of ALA …who virtually brought the nutriceutical to America…DR. BURT BERKSON, M.D., PhD, MA….google him or look him up on PUBMED.GOV He’s healing people 24/7 with his ALA …and it would be in your best interest…and those who follow you if you can get his RESEARCH….which is all over the internet and in his books…and perhaps do a REVIEW of how many people have healed of ALA…and how IMPORTANT it is to take QUALITY ALA sourced from Europe. I cannot stress this enough. People in America are taking tainted ALA sourced from China. Just call up the vitamin company and check. Then it’s up to you if you want to roll the dice and take CHINESE BASED VITAMINS. But please note, I’m even doing a radio show to help people find answers to REVERSING illness…and many SHOULD AND DO TAKE ALA …and reverse illnesses…even little babies. Now you can either delete this …or learn a little more. We ALL need to continue our education…we EXPECT the doctors to learn about nutrition…isn’t it important for we Holistic Counselors to continue our nutritional education….IF the protocols CAN HEAL. ALPHA LIPOIC HEALS AND GETS PEOPLE OUT OF WHEELCHAIRS AND OFF TRANSPLANT LISTS. Just giving you more info. Read, read, read. Good luck and keep cross referencing.
      xoxo
      Denise Otten, Author, Curing Courtney (and H.H.C)

37. Robert September 4, 2018 at 8:33 pm #

Robin, can ALA chelate iron out of the body? I’m anemic and have been getting iron IVs. I’m afraid that ALA could render my iron IVs ineffective. What are your thoughts on this?

All the studies online relate to hemochromatosis patients, but not patients with anemia. In the HC patients, ALA reduced total iron binding capacity and chelated some iron out of their bodies… but those were people who were basically being poisoned by iron due to their own genetics.

I can’t find anything on whether or not ALA would affect an anemic person’s attempt to build iron. HELP?

38. Carol Hall November 29, 2018 at 10:57 pm #

This was a much-needed find. Thank and Bless you Robin. I just have one question. I have two fillings out and five more to go. Since you say I should wait 3 months after they are all removed to start this protocol, can you suggest anything to help now? I have 99% of Mercury poison symptoms and am as weak as a kitten.

• Carol Hall November 29, 2018 at 10:58 pm #

I really don’t want to go to a Doctor.

39. Carol Hall November 29, 2018 at 11:10 pm #

I searched yahoo groups and could not find the group mentioned.

40. Mike December 2, 2018 at 4:08 pm #

ALA has a plasma half life of 30 minutes. The information is incorrect in this blog. Andy Cutler was wrong. It was assumed to be 3 hrs 20 years when he wrote his book and the half life was untested. I’m not saying low dose chelation is ineffective but to state the half life as 3 hours is false.

41. Mike December 17, 2018 at 4:03 pm #

ALA does not have a 3 hour half life this is is misinformation. Half life is 30-45 minutes.

42. Irving May 10, 2019 at 10:53 pm #

Some people taking ALA have complained about hair loss online. They’ve mentioned that ALA is similar to Biotin, and replaces it in the body. Is this the case? Or did they get hair loss as a side effect of chelation?

• Fiona July 10, 2020 at 6:06 pm #

Hi.
        Would like to know if ashwaghanda redistributed mercury in the blood

43. JJ June 19, 2019 at 11:29 pm #

I have been taking ALA for years, probably averaging 300mg 3x/week, sometimes more… due to its many benefits… I have had several amalgam fillings since my youth… as they deteriorate over the years, now 62, I have had 4 or 5 removed and replaced with composites, never done by a “holistic” or “natural” dentist… just had another replaced today, and took another 300mg ALA. I have had zero side effects and no sign of mercury toxicity. I also occasionally take bentonite clay and often take cilantro with foods. My blood tests have long come back normal. I work out strenuously 3X/week.

I believe that amalgam fillings leading to mercury “poisoning” is absurd. Think of how many MILLIONS of amalgams have been put into people’s teeth, usually multiple times… if toxic as you claim, there would be a HUGE epidemic of mercury toxicity sweeping the globe… and dentists, far more exposed, would be dropping like flies.

You respect the late Dr. Cutler, fine… but why are not thousands of other doctors buying into the mercury toxicity meme? You seem to be hanging your hat on ONE guy… not wise. BTW: There is not a single “natural” dentist here in Tucson… and only 3 in the very large Phoenix area… (their prices are outrageous) odd, considering what a hazard amalgam removal supposedly is… agree? MY dentist is a fine person, he would never knowingly endanger a patient. I think the huge majority are the same. Do you claim that this threat is being hidden by the entire mainstream medical community? Seems unlikely. I do not trust Big Pharma or the FDA… but let’s get real here… Do you discount teh following info?

44. Nan November 4, 2019 at 4:12 pm #

Actuall R Lipoic Acid is the only one to take… L not so much… I’ve been taking it for almost a year now and it’s great for foggy brain, etc… I have a # of mercury fillings and haven’t noticed any problem from it… if people do its likely a herx… This is one of the newer Life Extension supplements… I’m going to take 2 a day just to see, one in AM and one in PM… but so far no problem with mercury — also one could take Mercurius homeopathic to help drive the mercury out of body as well… Also N Acetyl Cysteine is said to work well with Lipoic Acid

45. Ali June 8, 2020 at 1:57 pm #

Hi,
      I believe you are quite wrong about the amalgam and ALA interaction. I cannot see how ALA can interact with the amalgam which is placed on the outer surface of the tooth. There is no single study on this subject.

46. derek gray September 28, 2020 at 2:20 am #

Hello Robin,
      57 year old personal fitness trainer NEVER sick UNTIL May 2019 on a Friday had amalgam extracted and mercury filling crumbled into the now bloody empty socket. Didn’t know it, but Monday morning, 3 days later, hands and feet were stiff, sore, tingling. Now 16 months later it has taken on full blown ALS symptoms. My 25 year old muscled body now a bag of bones with trouble holding a cell phone. Muscle wasting, breathing issues, mucous, swallowing all exact to ALS. Ive had amalgams since I was a kid, still have a couple to go but I am soon going to be in a wheelchair unless something happens. My only hope is CHELATION and need assistance. BRAIN is worst of all, and pain is off the charts. Looking at Andy Cutler protocol; but need help. Ive only told you half my story…..you probably wouldn’t believe the other half

• Robin Shirley October 4, 2020 at 2:38 pm #

Hi Derek, I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I am happy to help in any way I can. Please email us at support@clubtbyh.com for information on a consultation.
        Robin

47. Lacy H March 11, 2021 at 3:32 am #

Hi Robin,
      I began taking ALA 5 months ago and have been having muscle and nerve pain, as well as extreme fatigue and other symptoms. I was told about the possibility of the ALA detoxing Mercury and redepositing it in my body three days ago (I have amalgam filings). I stopped talking ALA immediately, and am researching alternative health care options, but as you mentioned in this article, I don’t know how to take care of myself right now as I go through this pain. What do I do in the mean time? Just wait it out? My jaw, TMJ joint, cheek, arm, and chest have been hurting so much.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. If You Take Alpha Lipoic Acid: You Need to Understand its Role in Mercury Chelation | Hot New Videos - October 10, 2016

[…] Read more here: https://clubtbyh.com/2016/07/26/are-yo… […]

2. Alpha Lipoic Acid – Reclaimed with Purpose - July 3, 2018

[…] https://clubtbyh.com/2016/07/26/are-you-taking-alpha-lipoic-acid-please-stop-until-you-read-this/ […]